I love helping people to write and publish books, but I’ve been very quiet in the book-writing department myself … but not any longer! Back in 2018 I drafted out a book about how to write a book, and then in January 2020 I started writing that book. I got about 3,000 words in but then moved house, lost the plan (which only existed on a very scrappy bit of paper!) and forgot all about it. I’d lost the plan, see … it was a great excuse! But then earlier this year I found the plan…
With no excuses left, I decided it was time to get that book written at last! So every day this month I have sat down and typed, and I am now at 32,000 words and close to the end of the first draft. My book about how to write a book is tentatively titled What’s Your Story? How to write a book that raises your profile, leverages your business and makes the world a better place.
So what is the book about? Well, as the title suggests, it’s about sharing your story in order to grow your own profile and that of your business … and when we share stories, we inspire and support and help other people – and that always makes the world a better place, don’t you think?
The book covers the writing and publishing process from start to finish, from possibility to plan to publication. Actually, I’ve just thought … maybe the book should be called What’s Your Story? How to take your idea for a book from possibility to plan to publication – given that that is the tagline I use in my networking introductions!
It includes chapters on the following:
- Why write a book in the first place?
- What to write about: finding an idea, defining the content and structuring your book
- Identifying your ideal reader
- What’s in it for you – and what’s in it for them?
- The actual writing process – some handy hints and tips
- How to edit your manuscript
- Publishing options
- Formatting for print and Kindle
- Marketing and promotion
- Other opportunities for published authors
In part, the book draws on my own experience of working with authors to self-publish books, but obviously I want it to cover a wider scope of topics and ideas, so there’s been a lot of research going on too. I also hope to include a few inspiring case studies about other published authors.
The book will be out in October – I’m aiming for an October 1st launch date – and I’ll be running a competition throughout September where you can win a signed copy of the book, along with various other prizes.
For now though, I would love your help in three areas:
- What would you like to see covered in the book that’s not on the list above?
- What are your thoughts on the two mock covers below? Do either of them appeal?
- Title – okay, so I seem to have two at the moment:
a) What’s Your Story? How to write a book that raises your profile, leverages your business and makes the world a better place
b) What’s Your Story? How to take your idea for a book from possibility to plan to publication
- Would you like to be a beta reader? I’m looking for around half a dozen people who are interested in writing a book to have a read of my book during August and give me feedback on what’s wrong with it!
If you have any thoughts on any of the above, or would like to be a beta reader, please get in touch!
And if you’d like to be kept up to date with the book’s progress and be the first person to hear when it’s available, just drop your details in the box below. You’ll also be able to download a free ebook, which is a kind of baby edition of the book!