I’ve recently discovered an app that has proved awesome for list making, goal setting and generally increasing my productivity, and I wanted to share it with you.
It’s called Workflowy and it’s available as a web app and also for iOS and Android. It’s a ridiculously minimal list management system that initially looks completely useless! In fact, I downloaded it to my iPad twice and deleted it twice because I just couldn’t work out what to do with it. However, if you log in via the website you’ll find a load of helpful videos that show you how to use it – it only takes about ten minutes to watch them all, and once you know how to use Workflowy you’ll discover it’s an incredibly powerful – and easy – way to keep track of lists of all types.
- Create as many lists and sublists as you want
- Each sublist acts as a “page” – focus on micro tasks as well as the bigger picture
- Add notes to every item on any list
- Star lists for easy access
- Print and export the entire list or any sublist
- Complete tasks, hide tasks or delete tasks
- Copy and move items across lists
- Use tags for easy sorting and finding
- Share lists and sublists – either to view or edit – while keeping everything else private
- Sync lists across all devices – add something on your phone and it pops up on your computer instantly
While I don’t think I’d ever use Workflowy as a daily “to do” list – I need the structure of dates and deadlines – I have found it an incredibly useful place for dumping all those things that swirl round in my mind and keep me awake at night. Things like business ideas, novel plot lines, films I want to see, topics for future newsletter etc etc …
In fact, here you go … click here and you’ll see a list I’ve started of ideas for forthcoming newsletters. And better than just viewing it, you can actually edit the list and add your own items to it – without even having a Workflowy account. Go on, try it! I’d love your feedback 🙂
Workflowy is free to use and free to add up to 250 items every month – but if you sign up by clicking here you and I will each get another 250 items every month! There’s also an inexpensive pro version, which gives you unlimited items, private sharing (sharing between Workflowy members only, rather than via a less secure link that could be shared), Dropbox backup and more.
Have a look – I hope you find it as useful as I do!